About Chocolate by Design
We are a family business which opened in 2008. With the help of a National Lottery Grant we developed the manufacturing area and lecture room on the premises. Specialising in handmade chocolate using traditional methods and unique colouring techniques we design unusual gifts and cakes with a personal touch.
We put all our efforts into “Designing our Chocolate” not the packaging – after all you want to buy a great looking product not the packaging, which has to be disposed of !!!. Weight for weight we offer more chocolate value than any of the larger mass produced chocolate makers.
We pride ourselves on our traditional values and providing a first class service at all times.The business has grown rapidly over these past 4 years and we now employ 8 people, some of whom are part-time. Chocolate by Design is divided into 5 key areas including:
- Weddings – wedding and celebration cakes which are individually designed and made to order as well as wedding favours
- Retail – variety of gifts available in our shop
- Wholesale – we supply several local business with chocolate
- Parties – childrens birthday parties, hen nights and ladies evenings
- Education – school visits, company team building
Watch Our Film:
Find out how we make our Chocolates and Cakes…
- In 2009-2010: Runner up for Derbyshire Times small business of the year
- In 2010-2011: Winners of Derbyshire Times retailer of the year
- Supplied chocolates for the Royal Gala Ball 2010 & 2012 and the Hans Sloane International Chocolatiers Ball
- Just completed our 3rd Lord Taverns Ball in Belfast – Waterloo Ball to celerbrate Wellingtons famous defeat of the French (we supplied chocolate Wellies for the table chocolates )
- We aim to maintain the very high standards that we have achieved so far in high quality customer service and exceptional product design
- We are hoping to develop our educational programme further to encourage and provide more educational opportunities for local schools and colleges to visit us
- To develop further the role of design in the business, extending our exciting product range
We are currently employing two apprentices, Chantelle and Matthew, our third apprentice. Zoe will start in July. We are committed to an apprenticeship programme which provides high quality training within an interesting, professional and friendly environment. We are hoping to employ two more apprentices each year as the business expands.
New apprentice start with us on 1st July – Well done Caitlen Benison !!
We provide an educational approach to both the science and history of chocolate which can be catered to each key stage. This covers the basic and advanced chemistry of chocolate. The history of chocolate from bean to production. Aztecs, Europe and Britain. Stem project work. Business study projects: How to run a small business, design and innovation work. General Project Work.
Hans Sloane Chocolate Ball – Ireland 21st September and Chocolate Extravaganca at Killyleagh Castle Ireland 22nd to 23rd September.
- The Lords Taverners Royal Gala Ball in May
Chocolate by Design supplied individual chocolates for 1300 guests at this great event – hosted by Chris Tarrant, Bill Tidy and Chris Cowdry. The event was organised by Leo Callow OBE of FAB events planning.
Derek and Chris Tarrant
ELTON JOHN CONCERT
We are pleased to say that we supplied chocolates for the VIP dinner for the Elton John Concert at the new Chesterfield Football Ground. We created a special mini chocolate dessert and chocolate pianos for each table, plus a special red piano for Elton John!